Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Brandon Engelstad Week 6 ~ Post 2

For extra credit this week, I watched the movie Wind River. This movie was extremely impactful. For those who didn’t see it, the movie was about a Native women on a reservation who was raped. It followed a man name Cory Lambert who is married to a Native women in another reservation. Throughout the movie, it is clear that the director/producer wanted to display many messages like those we have gone over in class. Of course the largest message was that when Native women on reservations go missing, it seems that little to no one cares. In the movie, the FBI sends one officer. She happened to be the closest so they sent her. It was a rape/murder and they only set one person. Like we have talked about in class, the US government tends to not put a whole lot of  effort into helping the people at the reservations. I don’t see how even up to this day, not a lot of help is given to these reservations. I do think it is great that we have the cross deputization going on now. At least some reservations are getting the help they need.

Some other messages given in the movie are when one of the characters talks about how he doesn’t have anyone to teach him his culture. This goes back to the topic of genocide, and how the way the government has treated these people is killing their culture. Another message they send is that the cops on the reservation are used to not receiving help. This movie was an effective way of getting these messages across and I was very impacted. If you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend it.

Next Post

Previous Post