Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Tayvonn Kyle Week 3 Blog 1

Watching the movie 100 years, I just became even more heartfelt for the Native American people. They are going through things that majority of the world aren’t even aware of. The ignorance of their struggles is in the hands of the U.S government. They don’t want society to acknowledge the fact that the Native American people are being treated like they aren’t one of us. This is because they don’t respect the Native Americans as people and don’t want to give up the millions they owe. It’s so pitiful that I almost find myself hating my own government. Elouise Cobell, a Native American, fought day in and day out for the Indians. It was mentioned that they lived on the most money productive land yet they still were broke. The government refused to pay them for the us of the land. The Indians fought for the $27.5 billion they felt like they deserved. However, the amount owed managed to decrease to $3.4 billion before the deal was made. By this time, many elders who really deserved the money that the government set out to pay them were dead. Others may or may not have seen this money to this day. One who didn’t see a penny of this promising was Louise Cobell who ended up dying of cancer a year after.

Next Post

Previous Post