Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Brandon Engelstad Week 3 ~ Post 2

This week, we watched a second video that was extremely heartbreaking. This film was called 100 Years: One Woman’s Fight for Justice. The film talks about the struggles that Natives on reservations have gone through. It specifically talks about one women’s experience fighting for them, Elouise Cobell. She fought for 15 years to try and get the money. It was estimated that they were owed around $100 billion. Granted that is a lot of money, the government should have still paid up, but instead, they elongated the process. Cobell made a generous offer of $27.5 billion, roughly a quarter of what was owed. Through the years, she was made an offer, but it was reduced down to $8 billion. Before any checks could be distributed, the government said they needed to “look things over”. This went on for many more years. Finally, in 2010, Obama signed a bill allowing the Natives their money. With many natives dying, Cobell was force to settle for the $3.4 billion that they proposed. I think this has to be one of the most messed up things I have learned about. Watching the film was painful. Seeing what the US Government was capable of was disgusting. I can’t imagine all of these people being so selfish and try to ignore the needs of a whole other race. They would literally destroy records so they wouldn’t have to pay what they owed. Talking about it in class, I think it would have made a huge difference if these politicians could go to the reservations and see how all of these people live.

I would say the saddest part of the video to me, was when the mother sent a letter to the government employees in her area and asked for money. She wanted a measly $25 for Christmas. Not only was she very polite in the way she asked, she asked for such a small amount. I’m fortunate enough to not have to worry about that during the holidays, but I can’t imagine they would have a whole lot with $25. If they need to ask for the money that is owed to them constantly, then something more must be done. And the next time, we need to give them what they actually deserve.

Next Post

Previous Post