Rhetorical Analysis of Pop Culture

Engl/SpCm 275 | Fall 2019

About Your Instructor

My name is Ms. Malone*. I’m happy to have you in class with me! Just a little background of who I am, and why I’m here…. I’m a military (Air Force) brat who grew up all over the western half of the US. Moving around so much as a kid really made me love to travel and explore new places – which is how I ended up in Iowa! I came to Iowa for undergrad (Central College), and once finished I moved back to my home state of Texas briefly, and then to London for my Master’s degree. But Iowa pulled me back, and I ended up at Central again – this time working as an admissions counselor. From there, I came to Iowa State to start my doctoral program, which brings us to where we are now!

I love teaching, and getting my students to try new things. I really appreciate project-based and game-based learning, so expect to see that in my teaching style! I’m also a very open teacher, so please don’t hesitate to ask questions and/or express concerns. I currently teach Multimodal Composition and Business Communication. I’m also a member of the Online Learning Team.

In terms of my research, I’m interested in writing program administration, as well as diversity and inclusion, game-based learning, and cross-cultural (international) communication.

*Pronounced [muh-lone]; Pronouns – She/Her/Hers

FAQ

I need to come to office hours. When/where can I find you? My official office is in the Communications Building, suite 1115. Hours are Wednesdays, 1 – 3 or by appointment. For my official office 

hours, just drop in whenever you want.

Do you give extra credit? You can earn up to 10 extra credit points toward your lowest major assignment grade through participation on our community pin board.

Will you read over my _____? If it’s something I can do in less than an hour, yes. If it’s not the night before it’s due, yes. If it’s long, last minute, and/or inappropriate, no. Here’s what that means:

Student A brings in their resume three weeks prior to an interview for an internship – absolutely! I’d love to look it over for you.

Student B brings in their 6 page research essay two hours before it’s due – no.

Student C brings in their 80,000 word pirate-erotica novel, written in Comic Sans, two days before the submission deadline – nope.

Next Post