Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Amanda Thomas week 1 post 2

My first exposure to the true history of the Christopher Columbus and the Native Americans was in my AP History class in high school. After We were exposed to all of the information about the massacres and genocide, I compared what happened to the Native Americans to the Holocaust and still do. I think the topics brought up in this class are very heavy and a touchy subject, but it is something that needs to be brought up because just today one of our classmates hadn’t even heard this information until today. Many regions of the country hide our nations true history because they don’t want more people to know. This was one of the topics of conversation today in class. It is important to acknowledge, respect, and learn from our mistakes so they are not repeated in the future.

Although the history is a very emotional topic, there have been other things that we have discussed even in just the three days of class that we’ve had. For example, the cultural traditions, languages, and religion. I particularly found it very interesting to read about in our book, Everything you wanted to know about Indians but were to afraid to ask by Anton Treuer, that Native Americans use fasting to connect with the “Spirit”. I had learned about fasting through Muslim culture and religion but never knew other cultures and religions incorporated it as well. I think it takes much strength and mind power to fast all day and not give into temptation.

Next Post

Previous Post

4 Comments

1. jcramos June 14, 2018

Amanda I completely agree on how you say you have never heard of these facts until this past week. It really shows how much we don’t know about how we have the things we have now. We have almost been told a lie from the text books we have read in the past in elementary school all the way through high school. Some of the things that Native Americans do may be similar to other types of religions. I do think it is weird how the natives think that there is a spirit hovering above a mother right before birth.

2. zpete55 June 14, 2018

I agree with what you are saying Amanda, I think that we need to teach what has happened in our past. Coming into this class the only thing that I really knew about Indians is that at one point they roamed all over the United States and once settlers arrived they were forced westward and then into reservations. After reading our book Everything you wanted to know about Indians but were to afraid to ask by Anton Treuer I have been able to learn about what actually happened to the native americans and how bad it was for them when the Spaniards discovered the “new world”.

3. Jonathan June 14, 2018

I have to agree with you Amanda about the history lessons taught in High school. We spend most of our time learning about World War II and the Holocaust, but the history lesson taught are from only one perspective. I believe the education system should teach history from different perspectives, especially when learning about the United States history. I also believe the reason the school system avoids teaching their students about the United States dark history is we are a shamed of the horrific acts our ancestors have committed. The only way to prevent ourselves from repeating the same mistakes is to learn about them, even if the history about the United States is horrifying. That way we can make the right decisions for a better tomorrow.

4. blengel June 15, 2018

I thought their culture was very interesting as well. The idea of fasting was also new to me as well. I have a friend who is Egyptian who is currently in Ramadan and has to fast from sunrise to sunset. I can’t imagine doing that myself, but I can respect the reason behind them doing it. They were definitely strong spirited, and I think their practice of culture really raised them to be that way. I also really thought the way they view funerals was kind of cool. The way they see it as the soul leaving the “shell” and how the children/pregnant woman could not be present because of a possible misplacement of the soul was very interesting.