Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Zach Petersen Post 1

After watching the documentary Reel Injun I have changed how I look at old western movies and all movies that portray Indians. I used to look at the movies and think maybe that kinda how it happened with everything you see in films you have to take with a grain of salt because you know that Hollywood with always embellish the truth to make it sell just like we talk about in class. The different movies that were shown in the documentary are many movies I watched growing up with my grandpa, if I went back now and looked at what was said and how they portrayed the Indians I would see it very different. I would be able to see how they always made the Indians out to be the bad guy and the cowboy was the good guy that was just trying to concur the west. When really the Indians were just trying to protect the land that they have been living on for so many years. But since that doesn’t make as such a good movie as showing the American expansion of the west.

The movie does a really good job is pointing out how each the movie industry helped shape some of the modern stereotypes that lots of people know in the present day.

Next Post

Previous Post