Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Jonathan Hofmann Blog: Native American Violence

Yesterday in class we talked more about the violence and abuse the Native Americans face today. We learned about the mess the government has created with law enforcement and the people who take advantage in the loop holes in the law enforcement. There was one specific case that made me really sick. The court case was the inhumane murder of Savanna Greywind. Savanna Greywind was 8 months pregnant before she was cut open and was found by Kayakers, wrapped in plastic in the river. Brooke Crew was a neighbor of Savanna Greywind and Crew cut open Grewind to take out her eight month old child. Crew later brought the child home to clean the baby of when her 32 year old boyfriend William Hoehn came home. Crew then presented the child to Hoehn and told him the child was their new baby girl.

Now what made me sick about this is Crew took complete advantage and brutally murdered Greywind for her child. Even worse Hoehn tried covering up the murder by wrapping Greywind with plastic and placed her dead body in the river, instead of recognizing the heinous crime and reporting the crime to the authorities. I feel both of them should be locked away for the rest of their lives without parole because the crimes they committed are the actions of monsters, not human beings. Another thing to note is if they wanted to have a child. The logical approach would be to adopt a child, instead of murdering a person to steal their child.

Next Post

Previous Post

1 Comment

1. mkthomps June 22, 2018

It made me sick too. What was most sickening is how little it matters if you are in Canada or the U.S., if you are a native woman you are a target.