Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Week 3 Post 2 Amanda Thomas

I think the topic on everyone’s mind today is the film we watched in class today. I have so many thoughts and comments on this film, but I will start by commending Elouise Cobell for working so hard and dedicating her life to this 15 year long court case and being successful in the end. With all the money and revenue that the United States has coming in, we are one of the most wealthy countries in the world, yet we still steal resources from our own people? This is mind boggling to me that the government puts oil plant on land owned by natives, takes the oil for little to no cost, and then puts the natives in jail when they attempt to protest. I wish more native stood up and had an even greater voice to get this case settled sooner. However, even if they all came together, the government does not see them as equals, they look down and talk down to natives like they are children and tend to dehumanize them as we talked about in class and most likely would not have listened even if their voice was as loud for all the world to hear. Even though the settlement earned them three billion dollars, it is nowhere near the amount they deserve and need to rebuild their lives and compensate for all they have lost.

Next Post

Previous Post

1 Comment

1. Jake June 29, 2018

It’s sad that big oil and gas corporations think that its ok just to walk all over the Native Americans. I know we discussed in class that some of this has gotten better, but they’re still not getting as much as their white neighbors. I feel like as a nation we have the responsibility to take care of those that we promised to take care of. The government should have paid what was rightfully owed to the people involved in the lawsuit and they should also step in and help regulate whats happening on native lands by harmful corporations.

I’m so proud that Cobell was able to do what she did and bring light to a lot of this. I Still feel like there is a lot of work to be done and the government should pay out the rest of what is owed. Even though they’ve made it impossible to sue the government for an issue like this once more I feel like someone will take action and fight for the rest in the future. I hope they do.