Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Makayla Maxwell // Week 4 Blog 2

While watching the Dakota 38 documentary, I had many mixed feelings about the ride. At first, I didn’t quite understand why the Indians were riding for forgiveness and healing when they were the victims but as the movie went on, I slowly began to understand. At the beginning of the movie, Peter Lengkeek, who was one of the leaders of the movement stated that “to be a Dakota means to walk in peace and harmony with every living thing”. Even though the Indians were wronged countless times and victims of one of the largest mass executions carried out by the US government, the weight of rage against caucasians causes disharmony amongst their race and it would be easier on their soul and well being to accept the past and move forward. Like one of the men in the movie said, “We know our history…and it hurts.”. But like we all know, we can’t change the past, so I understand why they took this 16-day journey from Lower Brule, South Dakota to Mankato, Minnesota in order to think and heal. I was also disappointed (but not surprised) that I had never heard of the killing of the 38 Dakota men. In order to learn from our past, we need to know the truth about it!

Next Post

Previous Post