Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

joey ramos blog 2 week 5

On Monday in class we watched a short clip of our President of the United States talk about a certain Native representative. He continued to bring up Pocahontas and said he apologized and is sorry to the real one but will not apologize to the fake one. Yes I can see where native people are coming from and finding that very offensive. He basically referred the whole native community to one person who is now basically not the person knew her as. We have only learned about how she was in movies and is just some beautiful Indian women. They have her very romanticized and almost fake then her true form that we have learned about. Then I think it was a very bad idea for him to bring up the me too movement. Yes he is a very reckless man when it comes to him when he isn’t reading a scripted rally. Yes it is a bad idea to talk about the metoo movement in a careless way because the actions of people have ruined peoples life and some have committed suicide because how much of an impact it has had in their life. I think it is not a subject to just throw around and not expect any back lash.

Next Post

Previous Post

1 Comment

1. caleby July 12, 2018

The video clip of Donald Trump was a good representation that our country does not realize the harsh conditions that the federal government has put the native communities through. His lack of care when talking about the native people explains why our nation doesn’t encourage us to learn about the history of native americans and all that they have endured. We even know that there are native communities in Montana but the fans in the crowd did not seem to care about the horrible native comments made by Trump. I’m very glad I took this class so I can realize that the comments made by Trump were unnecessary and offensive to native culture.