Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Tayvonn Kyle Week 5 Blog 1

This week, I found the ideas of Native identity interesting. For one, the questioning of one’s races is just disrespectful. I understand that if proven to be of Native American descent, one could receive opportunities provided to their people. However, you have to think of the way that makes a Native American feel if they grew up under that culture. If I grew up believing I was an African American and I’m part of a dying culture only to hear someone tell me I’m not, I would be emotionally damaged. A lot of these Native Americans may not be blood related to a certain tribe but grow up in it. They learn and develop with this culture and basically based their lives off the morals practiced within the tribe. The DNA tests just strips them of their values and connection with these tribes. These Native Americans may lose sight of what to call home if they are not who they thought they were. Additionally, the main reason the DNA tests is money. When it comes to casinos and not being subject to state laws, the government wants to make sure these people given this advantage are actually Native American. It just shows that the government doesn’t want the Native Americans having opportunities not provided to them and making something out of it.

Next Post

Previous Post