Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Zach Petersen Post 2

Talking about Indian casinos and how they started and what they are doing for the native americans I have a new understanding for what they are trying to do with the casinos they are just trying to make a bunch of money they are using them to sustain there community and give people jobs. But with all of the regulations and stipulations that come with having a casino it makes it hard for them to make any money which I think is wrong. Since they have there own government they should be able to set up there own rule and regulations and not have to give any money to the state they reside in. I also think the 5 things they must use there money towards are not the best things they can be using the money for. Having to donate to a charitable organization when they are barely making any money does not seem like a very good idea. If tribes were able to keep the money they had to give to the state and the money they give to charitable organizations they would be able to put lots more money back into the tribe which in the long run would make the reservation and the tribal community a better place.

Next Post

Previous Post

1 Comment

1. Jonathan July 11, 2018

Zach I completely agree with how fascinating and little I knew about casinos. Before class I did not know much about casinos, except that they were run by Native American reservation. But I did not know how much good the casinos were trying to do. In the article ” Tribal Gaming and Indigenous Sovereignty, with Notes from Seminole Country” it talks a lot about how much the casinos help provide funding for health, clinics, law enforcement, schools and educational projects, and housing. I also learned the casino revenues also help invest in diversifying the tribal economy by investing into sugarcane, citrus, cattle ranching, airplane manufacturing, and ecotourism. It is also important to the tribes to be diverse because it is a matter of pride, politics, and nationalism. Although not everyone on the reservations agree with casinos because some parents worry about how to raise their children in the new economic conditions.