Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Jake Wright – Week 5 Post 2

We talked briefly about mineral extraction yesterday from Fixico’s chapter.

At the beginning of the week I decided that I would do my research paper on mineral extraction on Native American lands. This is something that is really important to me because as a geology major I have been considering a career in oil and natural gas extraction. How Native Americans are treated when it comes tho this subject has interested me since we first watched a film in class that briefly touched on it. This is something that I feel is important because a lot of companies are just coming in and destroying lands without even thinking about the cultural significance. I feel like we as a nation should do better in regulating this mining to prevent the destruction of habitats and sacred native land.

I also feel like we should do more to help prevent pipelines from devastating places such as Standing Rock. If we unite and say that we don’t want this treatment for the Native Americans maybe we can make a difference. It is truly devastating that big businesses only care about money and not human lives. A lot of lives can be destroyed because of the impact from these events. The Dakota Access Pipeline has all ready leaked. Why do we continue to put people through this if we know time after time its going to fail?

Next Post

Previous Post

1 Comment

1. mkthomps July 13, 2018

Pipelines are dangerous. One we haven’t built one that doesn’t leak, two why build it over the water everyone in the country depends on?