Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Mankato Executions

Until watching the documentary for today’s class I never knew about the 38 members of the Dakota tribe that were executed in Mankato. I’ve got family that lives up near Minneapolis, so when we drive up there we often pass nearby or through Mankato. Knowing that such a tragic event took place there, and that so many people were executed at one time tends to reshape ones view of a rather mundane family trip. Being able to see some familiar environments of recent family trips has also helped frame some of the events better in my mind.

The more shocking thing was that people wanted to have three hundred native Americans executed instead of the 38 that Lincoln eventually signed to their deaths.

I did however appreciate and still am in awe about how the Dakota 38 +2 riders were treated on their ride. Given food, shelter, places to sleep and repairs for free by the people on the farms they met along the way. It goes to show that the majority of people are inherently good people when it comes down to it, and that talking calmly with one another and learning to talk is a good step to healing our nations long and deep wounds.

Next Post

Previous Post