Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Jake Wright – Week 4 Post 2

⚠ Donald Trump Warning ⚠

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-mocks-metoo-movement-in-montana-rally/2018/07/05/fad40ce2-80b3-11e8-b660-4d0f9f0351f1_story.html?utm_term=.892d86871e72

I know that I’ve all ready posted about the apology the United States issued to the people of Native heritage this week but I have thought of a lot more to add to this, and I feel like this needed a separate post.

A few minutes ago I was trying to decide what I wanted to make my second post about. I was scrolling through Facebook and noticed a political post about Trump and the #MeToo movement and Native Americans.

This video literally disgusts me because it is attacking a person’s claimed Native American heritage and joking about sexual assault. We have talked about both of these topics in class and the fact that True has just thrown this out there is baffling. Sexual assault is huge on Native American reservations and Donald Trump is basically saying he does not care. This is horrible considering the amount of light that needs to be put onto this issue for Native American women.

I don’t like getting into political arguments and I also don’t care what people believe in, but this should not be a belief that someone has. This is taking power away from Native Americans everywhere. Yes he was attacking one U.S. Senator, but if he is saying that it is ok to do that to one person, then he’s saying it’s ok to do that to the entire population.

Adding onto my other post this week, about the U.S. apology to Native Americans, this also needs to be apologized for. Trump should not be able to get away with nasty, racist and sexist words like this.

Our apology was not very public when it was released, but this itself was public. Millions saw this, but I doubt that many people have actually read the apology that we released in 2010. Despicable.

Next Post

Previous Post