Intro to American Indian Studies

Summer 2018

Jake Wright – Week 6 Post 1

This week in class we talked about the research topics that everyone chose. I thought it was really cool to learn about what everyone was interested in. There were something that I never would have thought of, such as Native Americans in video games. I also really enjoyed talking about my topic that I chose for my research paper.

I chose mining and drilling on native reservations. I thought this was a great topic because as a geology major I really want to learn more about the oil industry. I thought that it was really shocking and sad when I learned about how bad some people are treated when it comes to their land rights and compensation. One would think that Native Americans would be making bank with all of the drilling and mining of resources. In actuality they make little to none. A lot of what they earn is either put in trust, taxed or just taken by the government.

I hope that one day, if I go into the oil industry, I will be able to make a difference and change what is going on. I feel like under the right management the reservations can benefit greatly. By right management I mean Natives in charge of resource extraction on their lands.

Next Post

Previous Post

1 Comment

1. mkthomps July 20, 2018

I was happy to have such a great group member. I hope the rest of your future is bright.

I think one of the last documentaries that we watched in class showed the disconnect between the mining companies and the people living in tribal lands. I hope you can use your studies to end this type of exploitation of native land.